Friday, October 9, 2009

What I'm listening too...























The trailer for Zombieland featuring "Everybody Wants Some!!" has reignited my shameless lust for Van Halen. And with the weather being so drab and dreary lately, I've been in the mood for Joy Division. Only I don't have Joy Division in my car, so New Order it is.

Cheers me up every time.

Just listen to "Temptation." I dare ya not to dance.


Other albums I've been listening to:








Something I should let you know about myself is that my true passion is making mix tapes. If there's one thing I do very well and would love to make a living at, that is it. I've made 15 mixes already this year, just between January and August. Not until school started up again in September have I been able to control my obsession. Now-a-days I mostly make personalized, custom mixes for friends and family. I take artists I know they like, and compile them with similar artists and sounds I think they would enjoy (kind of like what Apple's iTunes Genius does now). What I used to do in high school though was simply make a mix for myself, and then make copies of it for my friends, so it was kind of like an actual album release. Everyone would get the cd on the same day, and then for the next couple weeks we would play the mix together and discuss our favorite parts. Then around '05 I stopped doing it for some reason. I only made mixes for my girlfriend, and its pretty much been that way since.

Then in February I made a mix called 23, to celebrate my 23rd birthday. Where people would normally give me gifts for getting older, I gave all my friends a copy of the CD. It was built with each one of the recipients in mind, but never straying too far from my own personal vision. It was about not just my favorite songs at the time, but songs that defined who I was, before, during and after I turned 23.





















1. Intro
2. Candy - Skip Kanosky
3. Sketches (20-Something Life) - La Rocca
4. Little Lover's So Polite - Silversun Pickups
5. PDA - Interpol
6. Manhattan - Kings of Leon
7. Spark - Ten-Speed
8. Jolene (live) - Ray LaMontagne
9. The Ghost In You (cover) - Counting Crows
10. Ceremony - New Order
11. Eyes Without A Face - Billy Idol
12. I'll Try Anything Once - The Strokes
13. I Don't Need Love, I've Got My Band - The Radio Dept.
14. The Box - Eastern Conference Champions
15. Idioteque - Radiohead
16. Jesus - Brand New
17. Where Have You Been? - Manchester Orchestra
18. 23 - Jimmy Eat World


Bonus: Unsatisfied - The Replacements


*(bonus only because it wouldn't fit onto the CD, therefore is only available in the mp3 playlist)

The title was not a result of my birthday however, but a favorite song of mine by Jimmy Eat World. Its a favorite amongst my entire circle of friends and was a perfect song to build the mix around. I only rediscovered this playlist recently while sifting through my iPod for something to listen to on the train, and it got me thinking...

I need more JEW in my life.

Somehow I always seem to forget how good they are, and then I rediscover them several months later and I get to experience the epiphany all over again. I've spent a lot of time lately listening to stuff for quick thrills. Its nice to get back to something with substance and some balls.



One of my favorite albums to listen to this time of year is Futures
by Jimmy Eat World. It just feels like fall to me. One of my favorite songs, "Kill," is featured on the third installment of a trilogy I made in high school called October Nights. Altogether there is October Nights (2002), October Nights '03, and October Nights '04. They sort of mark the end my days producing blockbuster mixes to pass out around school. Only 5 years later, they feel very nostalgic and dated, but nevertheless, the song choice, placement and overall pacing of the mix sound as good as ever. And if you look closely you'll notice the last song on October Nights '04 is "A Lack of Color" by Death Cab For Cutie. It seems to mark the point at which I transitioned from hardcore, punk and emo into straight indie rock.

























See what else I'm into @ Last.FM

No comments:

Post a Comment